Follow My New Blog

I've started a new blog. Follow my crafting adventures on

Monday, December 12, 2005

We just got home from the hospital

I don't think there is anything worse than having sick kids. I hate seeing them suffer. We've all had colds and runny noses and I noticed that Griffin was getting a little wheezy last Wednesday. We had his two month well check up on Friday, so I put off going to the doctor. Friday morning, I bundled up all the boys, put them in the car and went to the doctor's. Come to find out, they suspected Griffin had RSV. They monitored his breathing and oxygen levels and talked about admitting him to the hospital, but the doctor decided we'd wait and see how he was doing Saturday morning. I had class on Saturday morning, so David took him in. He was still doing okay with his oxygen, but his breathing was even more wheezy and they wanted to make sure he didn't get exhausted from breathing so hard, so they admitted him to the hospital. Poor David was there for four hours before I could get there, with all three boys. I had projects due in both my classes and I had to stay at school. I started checking in with David every so often. Griffin was getting so hungry, and he's very sensitive to any sort of milk product: I've totally given up cheese, milk and dairy of any kind. David kept telling the nurses that he was getting hungry and needed to eat. Griffin started getting mad and of course, with all the crying and distress, his oxygen levels plummeted. Finally they got him some soy based formula and he settled down.

Because Melissa is taking the same class as I am, she gave me a ride to school so that David could have the car. I needed to stay later than her though, and Jay came a picked her up. David couldn't leave the hospital because he was feeding Griffin and making sure he was okay, so I called my parents' house. Luckily, I caught my dad at home (my mom was off at a seminar all day) and he came to pick me up and take me to the hospital. I got anxious waiting for him and started walking. It felt so good to get moving; I was worried and pretty sad that I wasn't there with Griffin. I finally got to the hospital just after 3:00. David took the boys home and my dad was nice enough to bring me some scrapbooking stuff so I'd have something to do. Griffin was doing pretty well, they had him on constant oxygen though. The poor little guy had wires everywhere. Thankfully through this whole thing he's been eating just fine. It was actually kind of funny, because they weighed him at the doctor's office on Friday and he was 12 lbs 5 oz. On Saturday at the hospital he was 12 lbs 8 oz. On Sunday morning he was 12 lbs 14 oz. He didn't have to have an IV for which I was really grateful.

David came on Sunday with Xander and Maxton so I could see them. He gave Griffin a blessing and from then on, he started to improve rapidly. They took him off the oxygen late Sunday afternoon. They told us our stay would be anywhere from 3-5 days, and so we started looking for sitters for the boys while David was at work. The ward was so nice and we had 7 people volunteer to watch them. We couldn't get a hold of my mom to see if she'd be able to watch them at all. Melissa was going to take them Monday, which was so nice of her. We ended up not needing anyone else, because they released Griffin this morning. We still need to watch him closely and we have an appointment on Wednesday, but I'm happy that he's home and that I can be with all my boys. It was really nice to get a long break though, with meals coming without any effort on my part. I also got two scrapbook pages done and a card, but I hate sleeping in the hospital. I'm so grateful that although it was serious, it wasn't life-threatening. Griffin is such a touch little guy and he was so happy, even though he was horribly sick.

Here's a photo of my little trooper. The things on his cheeks are to help keep the oxygen thingy in place, but they had already removed it when I took this photo.
Image hosted by
I've started a new blog: Come follow my crafting adventures on my new blog. Find me at:


  1. I sure hope Griffin feels better soon!

  2. Anonymous5:33 PM

    poor little guy, I am glad that he is doing a lot better now!!


Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments and look forward to hearing from you.