I've been having a lot of fun figuring out different knitting techniques. I'm slowly learning. My first real project was a knit scarf, which is not quite long enough and just boring ribbed knits and black, but it gave me a lot of practice. Next, I tried a hat that was way too small to fit anyone who hadn't just emerged from a womb. I try not to get frustrated with those types of mistakes and instead see them as necessary practice to move up the learning curve--which is a stuffy way of telling myself to stop cursing over projects: there are children nearby. After that hat, I was fairly confident I could repeat it in a more adult size, and I was intrigued by the idea of stranding, so I did four hats using the technique. Stranding is making some stitches a different color from other stitches. I made Christmas gifts for my brothers and my husband doing different types of two color stranding. The one I made David was unfortunately too small, so I did another one that would actually fit.
It's far from perfect, but here is David in his new hat:
Argyle is surprisingly hard to keep straight, but I figured it out eventually. I wish I had insisted on getting pictures of my brothers in their hats, but it was Christmas and they were mostly crashed on the couch all day.
I did all the hats on flat needles, then doing a seam up one side. I wanted to try circular needles next. This is my first project on circular needles, using up some scraps and leftover bits from past crocheting projects. When I do it again, I'm going to do the decreases a little bit differently, but it turned out pretty cute, I think. Aubrey just woke up from her nap (she was barfing a lot last night) and it fits, which is pretty much a miracle, considering my track record, and very cute.